Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime Musings

Well summer has finally arrived and in a big way here in Missouri. We went from a very wet and cold spring to record temperatures, which to be honest is fine with me. I much prefer the heat to the cold. With summer comes the summer schedule. During the school year our schedule is busy, but structured. Once summer arrives it seems that the schedule actually gets busier, but our days are less structured (i.e. kids have no bedtime, their friends are in and out of the house at all hours of the day and night, different kids at different camps each week, etc.) I'm not complaining though, I actually kind of like the chaos and in spite of it feel like everyone is a little more laid back.

Speaking of chaos, we're also at the beginning of the presidential race heading into next year's election. To me this is one of the most interesting times of the election process as candidates are jumping in and out of the race it seems every week. It's way too early for me to know who I even like at this point. I can't say that I'm particularly thrilled with any of the potential candidates, but it's a safe bet that I won't be voting for Obama unless the republicans do something really strange. I do wish that Donald Trump had entered the race. I probably wouldn't have voted for him, but he made the race much more interesting. It was refreshing to see someone actually speak their mind and not worry about what the media or his own party might say. He would have been great in the debates and made them much more entertaining. In fact, while I don't think he could have won the nomination, I do think he would have pushed the republican platform in a positive direction.

My run down on the other potential candidates: I don't think Palin will run. She's not built up enough political capital and is too dividing a figure even in her own party. I sort of like her, but I don't think she's ready to be president. Bachman is an interesting candidate. Similar positions to Palin, but may have a difficult time reaching beyond the Tea Party voters. We all know what we get with Romney, a moderate. Probably the most electable, but hard to get too excited about. Gingrich has too much baggage. He's intelligent and has good ideas, but won't draw in the moderates. Ron Paul, who's really more of a Libertarian, has some interesting ideas as well, but he's crazy. Just when I think he's making sense, he says something from out in left field that makes me scratch my head. Pawlenty is too boring. He may have some good ideas, but he's not going to excite anyone. Don't really know that much about Cain, though I am intrigued and will be looking more closely into his platform. Besides, who doesn't love Godfather's Pizza?

Regardless of who decides to run, it'll be an interesting race. If the republicans can't find someone to unseat a president presiding over the worst economy since the 70's and out of control debt/spending policies, they don't deserve to win.

While we're on the subject of politics, can someone please tell Congressman Weiner to just resign now and get it over with. We all know he will eventually resign and this way we won't have to listen to several more weeks of this nonsense. I mean how stupid can one person be to think their not going to get caught engaging in this type of activity. I don't want someone that stupid running this country. I understand that what he did wasn't illegal, but what a dirt bag, and a stupid dirt bag at that. The arrogance of these folks never ceases to amaze me. To quote Homer Simpson, "Doh!, why do all my actions have consequences?" I think Homer is about the level of intelligence we're dealing with when it comes to most of these clowns.

Enough politics for now. It's summer and I for one plan to enjoy it. My oldest daughter plays on 2 softball teams (which I get the privilege of assistant coaching) that are each in first place in their respective divisions and is at a church camp this week with her youth group. My youngest daughter just finished volleyball camp and is getting ready for Vacation Bible School next week followed by Strings Camp and Art Camp in July. My son is getting ready to take his driver's test to get his learning permit. I'm starting to put my plans together for basketball season. My wife is just trying to not go crazy running everyone around. Yep, bring on the chaos, it's summer.

God Bless,
Dave

2 comments:

Tony C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony C said...

Hot down here in Tennessee too brother.
Trump would have been entertaining in this race. Depending on what happens with the debt ceiling and the economy, Bamar may slide back in for another four. Republicans have alienated some of the conservative core...and that needs to change!
Stay cool my friend!