Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Springtime and a Man's Thoughts Turn to...Well Some Really Random Things Actually

Seems like a good day for some random thoughts. I'm not sure why, but it just does. Enjoy.

As those that read this blog know, I seldom agree with this president on anything and overall feel he is a weak leader. However, his handling of the Bin Laden situation is one of those rare occasions where I feel the president got it right. They took their time to validate the intelligence and then when it was confirmed, they went in without hesitation or seeking permission and did what needed to be done finally bringing this man to justice with minimal collateral damage. I also thought his speech was excellent and his informing Presidents Bush and Clinton beforehand was very classy.

I have to admit though that I felt a little uncomfortable with all the cheering over Bin Laden's death. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we finally found him and I am glad he is dead. He was an evil person right up there with the most evil people throughout history and I do believe that justice was served. I also hope that the families of those who were killed on 9/11 can find some solace in this as well and am proud of and grateful for the soldiers that risked their lives to accomplish this task. But is it really appropriate for us to cheer and celebrate someones death? Don't we get upset when we see our enemies do this at the death of one of our own? As Christians, shouldn't we take a more somber tone as it relates to the death of an non-believer? Something to think about.

It really sucks watching your kids suffer with injuries and unable to fully enjoy playing the sports they are passionate about. It's hard to stand by and not be able to fix it.

At the same time, I'm very impressed with their toughness and determination to play with the injuries in spite of the pain they are in and hope this is a lesson they take with them throughout their life. God often uses obstacles in our life to build character.

Will it ever stop raining in Missouri? At this rate we'll be playing double headers everyday in July to make up all the games that have been rained out.

Initially, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the draft choices of the St. Louis Rams in last weekend's draft. However, as I've had time to research some of their selections, I think this might end up being a good draft for the Rams after all. Only time will tell. It kind of depends on what they do in free agency.

It was also great to see 2 University of Missouri players drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round. This should do wonders for recruiting. Go Tigers!!!

It's frustrating when you finally discover what it is you're passionate about and would like to pursue on a full time basis, but see absolutely no path to get there. What was that I said earlier about obstacles building character? I hate it when my own words come back to haunt me.

I'm really looking forward to Cornerstone this year and hoping I'm able to go. Some really great bands both old (classic Petra, Phil Keaggy, The Choir, Daniel Amos, Lost Dogs) and new (Anberlin, POD, Flatfoot 56, Josh Garrels, Photoside Cafe) and many I've never heard of, which is one of the greatest things about the festival, discovering new artists.

Speaking of music, for those that have not discovered the music of Mumford & Sons or The Avett Brothers, I would strongly encourage you to check them out. Amazing songwriters and musicians.

I'm looking forward to celebrating Mother's Day this weekend. I'm thankful God blessed me with a wonderful mother who has always supported and loved me. I'm also very grateful for my wife, who is a tremendous mother to our children. I can't imagine being on this journey with anyone else.

Even in the midst of difficult situations, God remains good, faithful, and trustworthy and His word remains true.

God Bless,
Dave

1 comment:

Tony C said...

I like the 'random post' Dave. It's a good snap shot of the rattlings in the old noggin! Honest and raw.

Good stuff.