Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009 - Joy in the Journey

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since the last Thanksgiving and that Christmas is only a month away. Time seems to pass faster and faster each year. The kids seem to grow faster and faster every year as well. As I reflect back on the last year with my mind already looking forward to celebrating Christmas I'm overwhelmed with how much I have to be thankful for. God has blessed me beyond measure. It's a shame that I don't take more time throughout the year to stop and thank Him. Instead it seems I too often spend much of the time asking for more.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday because it causes me to stop, take a breath, and realize how much I already have. It also gives me the opportunity to look back with a little hindsight and thank God for not always giving me what I thought I so desperately needed at the time, but as it turns out would not have been the best thing. God's sovereign grace is always amazing.

With that in mind here are just a few of the things that I am thankful for in 2009:

God's mercy, forgiveness and constant presence in my life.
My beautiful wife and children who are a constant source of joy.
My family's good health and comfort in times of health problems.
The teachers, coaches, pastors, etc. that have had such a positive influence on my children.
My extended family for the support and guidance they have given over the years.
My friends for their love and support.
My church for teaching the Word of God and loving me and my family.
My job and the amazing people I work with who make going to work each day bearable.
The struggles which God has allowed me to go through that have helped me to grow as a man, husband, and father.
Finding joy in the journey.

I pray that everyone would take time this Thanksgiving to reflect on all we have to be thankful for. Even in the midst of trials and difficult situations, God is working. The journey can be difficult at times, but God is always good and if we will put our focus on Him, we will realize that we are truly blessed regardless of our circumstances.

God Bless,
Dave

1 comment:

Tony C said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dave. May God continue to bless you and your family in a mighty way!