Friday, October 9, 2009

Obama, the Great Peacemaker! Are You Kidding Me?

I hadn't intended to write a political blog this weekend, but when I woke up this morning and read that President Obama had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, I just couldn't help myself. In fact, I had been preparing my thoughts for my annual birthday blog, which I plan to write in the next day or so as I have a chance to reflect on the last year. But in the meantime, I had to comment on this news. As most of you who read this blog on a regular basis know, I'm fairly conservative in most of my viewpoints, but I don't consider myself a republican. There's just too much baggage with that label. That being said, it's probably fairly obvious that I don't agree with the majority of the President's policy positions. In fact, I strongly oppose many of them. But let me ask you to put aside your party affiliation and whether or not you like the president when answering the following question:

What in the world has President Obama accomplished in his career, either as president or prior to the election, that would earn him a Nobel Peace Prize?

The answer is very simple, NOTHING!

He was a "community organizer" before being a senator, whatever that is. He authored no significant legislation as a senator, in fact he spent most of his time campaigning. As president, his healthcare plan has met with significantly more opposition that he expected and has been a complete disaster, of which I am grateful and hope it never does pass. He was elected on the premise of getting our troops out of Iraq. We're still there and not leaving anytime soon. He promised to close Gitmo, releasing dozens of terrorists into the US prison system and granting them the same rights as US citizens. Gitmo is still open so he hasn't even come through on a bad promise. He promised to turn the economy around, however, unemployment is higher that it's been since the early 80's after President Carter ran the economy into the ground. And by the way he's won one too. He's promised to redistribute wealth, taking from the rich giving to the poor. How has that worked out so far? President Johnson promised the same thing in the 60's and guess what, we still have poverty in this country.

Oh, that's right, he did sign an executive order to allow for the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. That's a real humanitarian thing to do, fund the killing of unborn babies.

So apparently all you have to do to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize is make a lot of promises, but not really accomplish anything. Since that seems to be the case...

I promise to end world hunger.
I promise to bring world peace.
I promise to make everyone wealthy.
I promise to you will always be healthy.
I promise whatever you'd like to hear so you'll elect me.

Do you suppose I'll win it next year? Oh, yeah, I forgot, I'm not the "messiah", just a lowly blogger here in the Midwest. This used to be a prestigious award, now it's just become a joke. We used to award excellence and achievement, now as long as we say the right thing we're rewarded, it doesn't really matter what we actually do. God help us.

God Bless,
Dave

No comments: