Thursday, October 15, 2009

Not Quite 40, But Getting Closer

Well another birthday has come and gone. I turned 38 on Saturday and took another step closer to 40. As I typically do around my birthday, I like to take a little time to reflect on the last year and on my life in general and contemplate just exactly how I got to this point in the journey. This year I am again reminded of how blessed I truly am. God has given me a wonderful wife, who constantly stands by me and supports me. He has given me 3 wonderful children who are growing into outstanding young men and women. He has placed us in a growing and vibrant church that constantly challenges me in my walk with God. He has given me great friends to walk this journey with. He has blessed me with a great job that is challenging and also allows me the flexibility I desire in my schedule to be involved in my children's various activities. I could go on, but you get the point.

It's interesting the path that our lives end up taking. It's seldom the way we picture it when we're young. If you had told me in high school or even college that I would end up being an insurance broker, I would have told you that you were crazy. In fact over the last year I've been wrestling with what God has called me to do from a career standpoint and have considered other career options that are more in line with the things that I'm passionate about. One thing I've always desired is to serve God on a more "full time" basis. However, as I've prayed and thought about it, I've realized that I already serve God on a full time basis if everything I do is for His glory. Whether that's being a husband, father, insurance broker, friend, etc. I've also come to realize that pursuing those options at this point in my life would take me away from what God has truly called me to do, being an involved and loving husband and father. This realization has brought me to a place of real peace and contentment in my life and made me more aware that I really do have a great job and work with great people, something not everyone has.

I don't know what God has in store for me in the future and, as I wrote a couple of weeks ago about pursuing your dreams, I'm not abandoning the pursuit of those dreams as I believe God placed them there for a reason. I'm just allowing God to take the lead and open the doors in His time. In the end, what He has planned for us is far greater than anything we could dream up. It's so easy to become restless, but in doing so we miss what God has for us now. Instead of always worrying and thinking about what's next, I'm learning to enjoy living in each moment. I'm slowing learning to enjoy today's blessings instead of always wanting more.

To quote one of my favorite Bruce Cockburn songs: "So many miles, so many doors. Some need patience, some need force. All fall open in their own due course."

God Bless,
Dave

2 comments:

Ken said...

Gotta love a guy who quotes Bruce Cockburn. Keep on trusting and running the race...

Tony C said...

Happy Birthday Dave...don't worry, there are worse things than 40!

Dude, you really need to write more. When you do, you have a knack for bringing your emotions through to your readers. A true gift.

Good to hear from you. Hope to again soon!