Thursday, April 16, 2009

Me?...A Right Wing Radical?...Who Knew?

It's been awhile since I've written about politics, but I just couldn't hold it in any more after watching the coverage of the Tax Day Tea Parties that were held around the country on Wednesday. I never realized that I was a dangerous, radical, right wing, conservative nut job, but apparently I am. At least if you believe the news media, specifically CNN and MSNBC. You see, according to their coverage of these rallies, if you believe in small government, low taxes, personal responsibility, and are pro life, you are dangerous. They don't just disagree with you, but they actually believe you are dangerous. One CNN reporter, who was supposed to be there simply reporting on the event, which was held to protest the large spending bill recently passed and proposed tax increases, even went so far as to start arguing with one of the participants about his opinions. I'm sorry, but I thought reporters were supposed to report the news, not debate those they are interviewing.

The fact that the media and many pundits lean left is certainly not news to anyone, but the hatred that they seem to have for anyone or anything even approaching the right is just bizarre. I love a good debate with someone who I disagree with, but is it really necessary to hate the other side in order to debate them. I've found that usually means they don't have much of an argument. I consider myself fairly conservative as I strongly believe in a small government, low taxes, personal responsibility, and am fiercely pro life, but I also lean to the left on some issues, i.e. the environment, social justice, gun control, and I certainly would like to see us out of Iraq. So I think I'm fairly balanced in my views, but according to the media, the latter doesn't matter because the former makes me a dangerous radical that should be silenced or at least shouted down. But aren't these the same ideas that our country was founded upon? Wasn't the original Boston Tea Party a protest against high taxes and a large intrusive government forcing its will on the colonists? Is it really that crazy of an idea that the government should leave people alone and let them keep the money they've earned?

And why is it when anyone on the left is out in the street protesting, they are applauded by the media for utilizing their right of free speech, but if you have a dissenting opinion you should be berated and accused of having dangerous ideas? What is it that they are afraid of? I also found it interesting that the president claims he was unaware that these rallies were taking place. He's either even more out of touch with the American people than I thought he was or he is afraid to admit that some people actually don't agree with him. Well Mr. President I have news for you, there are a lot of us that don't appreciate the rather large amount of debt that you just placed on us and our children and we are not going to be silent, even if your cohorts in the media try to paint us as radicals. I suppose to the British the founding fathers ideas were radical as well. If following in their footsteps and holding on to what made this country great makes me a radical, then so be it.

God Bless.
Dave

No comments: