Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Blessing of Children

We celebrated my youngest daughter’s 7th birthday last weekend and I was again reminded of how much a blessing children are and how much I love being a dad and hanging out with my kids. She is the youngest of 3, ages 13, 9, and 7. When I was younger, before I was married and had kids, I always assumed that someday I would have children, but I never realized how much having children changes your life and your perspective on things until my oldest was born 13 years ago. When they’re babies your entire life revolves around feeding, diapers, and lugging all kinds of baby stuff around everywhere you go (i.e. diaper bag, car seat, etc.). It’s a fun stage, but it is a lot of work. As they get older, your life still revolves around them, but there are bigger issues to deal with and it seems like you are always driving them somewhere.

However, what I’m finding as they get older is something that I guess I never thought about before I had kids or even when they were younger. But, my kids are now at an age that we can sit down and have real, sometimes deep conversations about all sorts of things. Topics like who God is and how do we as fallen and sinful people relate to the creator of the universe, politics, how movies that we’ve seen or books we’ve read affect us and finding deeper meaning in these stories are regular dinner conversation. Of course there is plenty of silliness to go around too and I’m always up for a good fart joke, which all 3 are always ready to deliver. My son had a friend over for dinner the other night and he commented on how much fun we have at the dinner table and he’s right, dinner at our house is often very entertaining.

It’s truly amazing to watch them mature and become their own person with their own very distinct personalities. The 3 of them couldn’t be more different from one another and sometimes it’s hard to imagine that they were all raised in the same house. But it’s neat to hear them express their own ideas and opinions about issues. They often amaze me with their insight.

God has truly blessed my wife and I with 3 amazing children. It’s interesting how He uses them to teach me and mold me into the person He created me to be, just as He uses my wife and I to mold them into the people He created them to be. I guess my point is that having children is more of a two way street than I ever realized. It’s not just about me being the parent (although that is an important aspect), but it’s also about being open to allow God to use them in my life as well.

God Bless.

Dave

2 comments:

Tony C said...

We need to hear more daddy stories from you Dave! That's good stuff.

I've got a 13 year old and a 16 month old...both girls. The 13 year old is killing me!

Keep blogging...it's good reading.

God bless.

Ken said...

From now on, I'm eating dinner at your house every night.

Great post, Dave. Keep 'em coming!