Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thoughts on Eternity

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about eternity and what heaven will be like. I’m not really sure why and it’s not really been so much thinking about my own mortality or anything like that. It’s been more a sense of wonder and curiosity than anything morbid. Perhaps it’s because I’m getting older and can look back and see where life has been a struggle and realize things are not as they should be and the promise that God will restore all things gives me hope.

But also, I can look back and see glimpses of heaven in this life. Things like the close bond I have with my wife and kids, watching the sunrise over the mountains in the pure silence of nature, listening to beautiful music, etc. These are only small glimpses of what is to come and I can only imagine how much more beautiful those things will be when they are not tainted by the blackness of the fall and sin.

I play basketball with a group of guys from church every Thursday. A couple of weeks ago as I was driving home I was struck with the idea that not only are we friends now, but we will be friends throughout eternity. I realize that our bodies will only allow us to play basketball for so many years and we will eventually have to stop, but that someday we will be able to play again and share our love of sports and competition throughout eternity.

I also thought about my small group bible study at church, where my wife and I have shared so much of our lives and built relationships that have helped us grow and given us a sense of community. We’ve laughed and cried together for a lot of years, sometimes at the same time. We’ve celebrated and mourned together through all that life has thrown at us. It’s exciting to think that those relationships will continue for eternity and only grow stronger and deeper as the shackles of sin fall off.

Lately I've been able to connect with old friends through Facebook that I've not seen in a long time. It's been a lot of fun catching up with those people that have touched my life in one way or another throghout the years. Perhaps another glimpse of heaven.

Finally, I thought about my wife and kids and the joys and trials we've been through together and will continue to go through. It's comforting to know that our relationship as a family will continue into eternity and only grow stronger. I believe God put us together for an eternal purpose.

I don’t know exactly what heaven will be like, but the fact that we will be able to experience the fullness of God is truly amazing and is my source of hope when life is a struggle. When I was younger I always pictured heaven as kind of a dreamlike state of mind. But the more I think about it, I think it will be more real that this life could ever be.

God Bless.

No comments: