Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I love this time of year in spite of all the rabid consumerism (which I get caught up in too) and the endless silly arguments about whether this should be a non-religious holiday to celebrate winter, or whatever anyone wants to celebrate other than the birth of Christ. I'm actually not sure why anyone would want to celebrate winter as I hate cold weather and snow, unless I'm sledding or skiing (which I've actually never done, but it sounds like fun).

No, I love this time of year because I'm reminded again that God sent His son into this world to live among us, teach us a better way to live, and to eventually die on a cross in our place for the sins we committed in rejecting Him in the first place. I think Bill Mallonee said it as well as can be said in his song "On to Bethlehem":

"God wrapped Himself in human skin for those who want to touch and God let them drive the nails in for those of us who know way too much."

We had made our decision back in the Garden that we thought we knew better than God and before anyone thinks they would have made a different decision examine the decisions you have made in your own life. I likely would have given in a lot quicker than Adam and Eve did. But even in light of this rejection, in fact because of it, God continued to pursue us to the point of becoming a man and dying on a cross. That still blows me away.

So as we celebrate Christmas by opening presents, visiting with friends & family, and eating way more than we should, I hope you take the time to read the Christmas story and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.

Merry Christmas and God Bless.

1 comment:

Tony C said...

I missed this post earlier...good one.

Hope your Christmas was filled with God's love.

Happy New Years.