Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday for a variety of reasons and this year is no different. As I normally do, I took the entire week off from work and have had time to just enjoy my family and reflect on all the things I have to be thankful for, and there are many. I realize the economy is in bad shape and there are many things going wrong in our country and around the world, but God's grace and mercy are always present in good times and bad. So with that in mind here are just a few of the things I am thankful for.

First, I thank God for the precious gift of my salvation and that I, a hopeless sinner, can have a personal relationship with the God of the universe. Though I certainly did nothing to deserve it.

I am extremely thankful for my wonderful and beautiful wife. She is my best friend and soul mate and has been my greatest supporter over the years. She has put up with my impulsiveness and endless rambling about politics, work, and sports for over 15 years now. I am thankful that she is now healthy again after a difficult year and praise God for bringing us through it and making us even closer than we were before. I am thankful for her wonderful and silly sense of humor and her tenderness and compassion for others.

I am grateful to God for the gift of our 3 precious children. It still amazes me to watch them grow more and more each year and to witness them becoming the person God created them to be. They are each unique individuals with their own talents, tastes, and passions and I look forward to see where God is taking them in their lives. It's interesting how God teaches us about ourselves through our children.

I am thankful for my church and the community of believers that we worship with. They are an incredible source of strength to me and my family. Our small group bible study in particular has been a place where we have cried and laughed together over the years and I appreciate their prayers and encouragement.

I am grateful for my parents and grandparents from whom I have gained much wisdom. I am also grateful for my wife's parents and grandparents who have always made me feel like I was a part of their family since day one.

I am thankful for my job, my house, my health and that even when we have struggled financially, we have always had food on the table and a roof over our heads. I am thankful I live in a country where I am free to worship and live how I choose. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to travel both in the US and internationally.

Finally, I am thankful that God continues to work on my heart beyond just my salvation and that He continues to help me grow as a person, husband, and father. I am thankful that the work He began in me He will see through to completion and that He is not done with me yet. I am thankful for God's grace when I stumble into sin or even when I charge in head first. His grace continues to overwhelm me everyday.

Happy Thanksgiving and may God's grace overwhelm you today as you reflect on all that you are thankful for.

God Bless.

1 comment:

Mberenis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.