Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Results

Well, I guess the American people made their decision. I am extremely disappointed and concerned, but from a purely historic standpoint, it is an amazing thing that an African American would be elected president, considering the civil rights movement was only 40 years ago. From that perspective, I am proud that we have come so far as a nation to so overwhelmingly elect an African American. I do hope that his election provides hope to people of all races that they can achieve their dreams no matter the obstacles. I only wish that the first African American president would have been a conservative.

Obama has promised to be a "uniter". I can only hope this is true as he has never been a "uniter" before in either the Illinois State Senate of the US Senate. I can only hope that he will moderate some of his positions and will be willing to listen to and work with those of us that disagree with his vision for the country. However, with a majority in the House and Senate, I'm not holding my breath. I hope the American people are prepared for a large shift to the left in this country because that's what is coming.

I do hope that I'm wrong and that Obama is an extremely successful president who is able to turn the economy around, protect us from terrorism, and provide strong leadership to move us forward as a nation. In the end my faith and hope are not in our president or any government leaders anyway, but in Christ. I believe God is sovereign and has placed Obama in this position for a purpose, even though I may not understand that purpose; and it is now our duty to pray for him and ask God to give him wisdom. I pray that he will put his trust in God above all else and look to Him for guidance. It is also our duty, however, to stand up and make our voice heard. It is imperative that we not let our ideals be shoved into the background and marginalized any further than they already have been. Just because we lost this election, we cannot give up fighting for our beliefs.

Tonight the American people got what they asked for. Now I only hope we can all live with it. May God have mercy on us.

God Bless.

1 comment:

Tony C said...

Been a few days since I've read a new post from you Dave. Not that depressed by the election results are you?

Keep blogging and sharing. People do read!

God Bless.