Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Election

Well, the election is in full swing and I'm tired from staying up too late every night the last few weeks watching the convention coverage for both parties. I was already tired from staying up late watching the Olympics every night and then we went right into the conventions. Part of my problem is that I not only watch the speeches, but I also love all the pre and post speech discussions. I know it drives my wife crazy when I keep flipping from Fox to CNN to MSNBC, but I'm simply fascinated by the political process and love all the debate.

Unfortunately, most of what's going on now is just silly personal attacks between the candidates and no real discussion of issues. This is what turns most people off from politics and is really sad. I am a McCain supporter, but I don't have anything personal against Obama, I just simply disagree with him on many issues. Actually, in many ways, I don't completely disagree with where he wants to go, I just disagree with him on how to get there. There are a few fundamental issues like abortion and higher taxes that would prevent me from voting for him, but I believe that overall his intentions are good and that he really does love this country.

I consider myself an independent conservative with a few liberal leanings, i.e. gun control and the environment. I just can't call myself a republican as I feel they have drifted too far from the idea of small government and really have done nothing about the issue of abortion in this country, which are supposed to be core beliefs of the party. I also have trouble with the so called "Christian Right". I am a Christian and my relationship with Christ is the most important thing in my life. But I can't understand how the Christian Right can be so gung-ho for war and care so little about the issue of poverty around the world. Seems backwards to me, but that's a topic for another day.

The thing I like most about McCain is that he isn't and has never been a typical republican. He has always been a maverick and is not afraid to buck the system. This is exactly the kind of person we need in the White House. Let's hope he doesn't change if he gets elected.

1 comment:

Tony C said...

You nailed it! What are the major issues to you? What is your plan concerning those issues? How can we bring both parties together to get SOMETHING done? These are the questions I want answered.

Good blog. Keep writing brother...people will read.