Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Compassion International

I had the great privilege on Sunday night to work at the Compassion International booth at the Robbie Seay concert in St. Louis. For those not familiar with this organization, they are a Christian, child sponsorship organization that provides funds to assist children living in extreme poverty around the world. Individuals can sponsor a child for a monthly donation and the money goes to provide food, clothing, education, and other needs of the child and their family. It's a little different than some similar organizations in that you are able to regularly correspond with the child you sponsor and develop a relationship with them. It's an outstanding, reputable, and very well run organization.

My family and I started sponsoring a child living in Columbia in July and it has been a wonderful experience so far. As I've discussed in a previous blog, God has really been causing me to think a lot about the church's role (and my role as a part of the church) in the world, especially as it relates to this issue and other areas of social justice. So when I had the opportunity to volunteer at an event to talk about Compassion and to assist others in sponsoring a child, I jumped at the chance and I'm so glad I did.

It was so exciting to see people's hearts moved and to talk with so many people about Compassion and the work they are doing. We ended up signing up 15 people to sponsor a child, which is incredible. But it was also hard to look at all the packets of children that are still waiting to be sponsored. There is just so many people around the world living in such terrible conditions, that it almost overwhelms me to think about it.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend my day and so much of my energy at a job that just feels rather pointless at times. I feel like I could be putting my skills and talents to use doing something more to further God's kingdom and help those in need, but I just don't have the time because my job keeps me so busy. Don't get me wrong, I like my job and have no plans to leave anytime soon, however it's just not where my real passion lies. I do believe God has me where I am for a reason, but I can't help but wonder if the direction God has been stirring my heart lately is leading to something else. It's difficult to be patient and unsure of the future, but God's timing and plan is always perfect.

So for now I will try to be available when other opportunities like this present themselves. Perhaps that's what all this is about anyway, learning to be available when God calls, no matter how big or small the calling seems to be. Perhaps God is more interested in our hearts and our response to Him than anything else. In the end it's really the work of Christ in peoples hearts and lives that makes the difference anyway, not our actions.

God Bless.

If your interested in more information or would like to sponsor a child, please visit Compassion at www.compassion.com.

2 comments:

Ken Miller said...

Wonderful insight into your heart, Dave. You were born to blog, dude...no doubt. Keep it up.

zachyounkin said...

I can vouch that Compassion is an amazing organization.

Thanks for blogging about Compassion!

I did take notice however that you did not link at all to Compassion. Would you mind doing so? I would love to see people that read your blog sponsor children.

I am sure that you know, but Compassion's web address is http://www.compassion.com.

Thanks!